Friday, December 6, 2013

Finished Bark Texture








Hey guys, wanted to show the finished up bark texture. Tonight I took the information I learned from my lookdev before and used it to really polish up my final texture. First, I made the texture tiling, giving special attention to the final tile rate, as well as logical break up of space that doesn't draw the eye one way or another.

From my first test, I knew one of the biggest things I needed to do, was adjust the values and browns to make the bark feel more natural and saturated. I also knew what I wanted my final normal map to look like, and roughly how much information I needed in the height map. With final rough examples that was made fast, I was able to complete the entire final texture in far less time. A good lesson worth noting for the future. Test fast, learn and speed up your process with what you learned.

The final renders turned out great, and I may post some pics in the future with the Marmoset Toolbag 2. Overall I am pleased with the texture, and the micro detail holds up incredibly well (smart mix of normals and tessellation) Below are the final textures, and some beauty renders :) Tomorrow, comes making the tree itself!


Highrez Links Here:


1 comment:

  1. Hmm, trying to comment now for the second time.

    Awesome work though man! I came across your post on Polycount and was just floored at the fidelity of your final renders. I've taken to making studies of rocks, foliage, panels, etc as of late to improve my knowledge on them - then I saw this and it just blew me back a bit.

    I'm wondering how your keeping such fidelity on your final assets? I've made test assets with 4k textures but can't seem to keep the same level of detail as you have. Are yours strictly from photo textures run through Ndo2? Have you sculpted anything on your final asset?

    Your works been a huge inspiration to me for a bit now. Planetside2 has been huge for me, and I can only imagine what awesome assets you've put in there ;) I'd love to chat with you sometime if you'll have it. My skype is: millerjayson, or my website contact info at http://www.jaysonmiller.com

    Keep up the awesome work!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete