Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Why I paint every day

I get asked this a bit and the answer is pretty simple.  I am not looking to become a master painter or amazing concept artist or anything like that. Currently I paint every day to learn enough that it can be my tool of choice when visually communicating things like composition, shape, color, or visual narrative.

Where I stand in my skill set right now, I communicate the best through 3D environments, however making said environments, even in a basic form (and then iterating on them) is not always a fast process. Painting to me, is great because its fast and simple. So for right now, that is why I practice. I also feel it is similar to cheating at art because for 40 minutes a day, I get to practice lighting, composition, painting, and narrative all with one simple set of exercises. It also acts as a personal creativity dump where every day I get to stretch those muscles in my brain that don't get used at work (where I work on an established franchise with others).  It feels great to tell 3-10 little stories every night and know they are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment